Tuesday, March 20, 2007


What are your expectations?

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine last night and we talked about expectations. Now everybody has expectations. They may be negative or positive, but everyone has them. I always used to say that I had no expectations of anyone because if they did something unexpected then I would not be surprised. Well, that was a crock of bull. That was my round about way of saying, "I don't trust you and you could do anything to hurt me, so I will keep you at bay." It took me a long time to admit that but I had to face facts that when I am involved with someone I have expectations. Most of the time I set those expectations super high almost impossible to reach. But in my mind they seem reasonable. For example, when I was 16 and in high school I told a young man who was interested in me that I couldn't possible date him. Why? He did not fit the criteria and could not possibly live up to my expectations. Now what the hell type of criteria could I have at 16 since I was still living with my parents. LOL The thought is laughable now, but it made total sense to me as a teenager.

I am writing this because lots of times people say, "whatever happens happens". Please understand that is just a phrase people use not to scare off people with their expectations. Yes whatever happens may happen, but you want it to happen a certain way and follow some type of plan that you have in your head. I want people to know that it is okay to have expectations and it is okay to share those expectations with your partner/friend/lover/family. If that person really cares for you and how you feel, the expectations won't frighten them. But we must also be prepared for the opposite also. Some people may run, get upset, change their attitude about you and it will hurt, but it is not fair to have expectations and not share them with others. Just make sure that your expectations are based on the real and not what others think they should be.

So, what are your expectations?



No comments: